My elementary school teacher

I was obliged to one of my elementary school teachers, who had taught me during my fifth and sixth. He happened to my elder brother's teacher also. My elder brother was so brilliant that my teacher thought I might develop just like my brother. Unfortunately, I was so different from my brother. I remembered during those two years I didn’t got used to the school lives. My teacher later treated unfairly to me as some kind of student who was lazy and couldn’t work hard intrinsically. I felt I was abandoned from the class. It is believed that teacher tends to use his own image as expectation, or sometime one calls as Pygmalion effect. The effect is suitable to other students, but it didn’t fit to me at all. I remembered I didn’t like study at school and preferred outdoor activity for many years. I recalled the time I knew there was grammar in English was about the third year of my junior high school. I couldn’t believe my academic work start to turn around after I entered the high school. To tell the truth, I think I ought to appreciate my high school classmates who had helped me. My English got better and better because some of them remained me of English questions almost everyday. Now, I reckon I am developed as some sort of person who has confidence inside and willing to cope with in this subtle society. The bad memory, however, accompany me all along which has become a guiding light for me and leads me to survive and succeed. In the end, I wish I can forget about this piece of unhappiness and reconsider the way my elementary school teacher had done to me and the whole class.

2 則留言:

  1. it seems like most teachers like brilliant and hard-working students for he/she doesn't need to spend too much extra time teaching them. I think this is normal; after all, we are all human beings, and it's really not surprising that we all compare something to the other.

    however, of course, a good teacher shouldn't prefer someone and judge a student by looking at his work on the studies. I belive that every child has his own characteristics and we should all appreciate that.

    Cheers,
    Stella

    回覆刪除
  2. Thanks again for your comment. As I read the Pygmalion effect, something just came back to my mind. It looked stupid, didn't it.

    回覆刪除