one practice teacher's reflection

Today I heard a teacher saying, “Having tests is really a waste of time.” I know that I have different perspectives from this statement, but was not in the position to express my opinion then. Nevertheless, this sentence led my mind to think. In the past few weeks, we have been busy discussing how we would carry out our mid-term assessment for English. We came up with the agreement of having both an oral test as well as a written test for the sixth grades. As for the fifth grades, I knew that I would not compromise my subjectivity for evaluation with the other teacher. So, I decided that we should have the assessments held out our own way. Just before we sent in our test papers for print, I heard the teacher say that she has no intention in failing the students, thus she has her test written as simple as it can be. A question that flashed into my mind was, “I’ve covered thoroughly all the things I’ve taught, does that mean I have the wicked intention of failing them?” I was offended.In terms of assessment, I think it is important that while thinking of what and how to test the students we go back to the basics of teaching methodology. In curriculums and teachers guides states clearly the objectives of each unit. Hence, when we are considering what to include in our tests, we should be looking back at the objective and taking into account whether our means of assessment can truly measure these objectives. If a test is made too easy, it cannot help teachers learn whether their teaching methodology requires adapting. Nor can a test that is made to difficult give positive feedback to teachers, not to mention the discouraging effect that it brings to students. Only when a test covers the objectives of the units is it going to have the function that it was intended for. Therefore, it is important for me, and I hope for the other teachers too, that we hold a positive attitude for our profession. To know at all times the real ability of ones students is not a crime. Thus, it is unfair to say that spending time finding students’ ability is a waste of time. It certainly isn’t. By knowing their ability, I have the confidence that I am able to help them improve their English, and allow ones who have done well be honored and encouraged by assigning them to be teachers. Tell me if I have done wrong!

1 則留言:

  1. The article was found from the internet with other reflections in a whole. I don't know how to reply to the original writer. That reminds my work on preparing mid-term exam for my students. I did exactly the opposite way that my students got high scores for their test. When I teach English, I have to assess their ability in progress. In our current school, the six grade exam. were considered too hard that many students received single digits. Nobody expected the outcome being cruel on those students. One student said his score would make his parent push him to attain a cram school immediately. Now, it is rare for six graded not to go to English cram school. This is what has been happening here.

    回覆刪除