The Rooster and The Fox

The Rooster and the Fox, An Aesop's Fable
“beware of sudden offers of friendship”
The first ray of morning sun peeked over the mountains and shined down into the valley.
One solitary beam hit the rooster perched high atop the barn roof.
He opened his eyes and sang, "cock-a'doodle-doo."
All the animals were awoke and came hearing the rooster’s song.
The horses yawned and stretched their legs in their stables
The pigs rolled over in the mud and went to their troughs for breakfast.
Cows shuffled over to their mothers for a drink of milk.
And far away in the hills, the fox lifted his sleepy head.
The fox's belly growled.
"I'm so hungry," said the fox.
"All the farm animals in the valley Have eaten up a big healthy farm breakfast, and I am left alone, and hungry and here in the hill. It isn't fair"
In the valley, the rooster sang again, cock-a'doodle-doo.
Then the fox had an idea "I’ll eat that singing rooster that's what I'll do."
Quietly the fox came down and out of the hills and clawed onto the farm.
When he got to the barn, he looked up and said, "Hey rooster, I heard you singing up in the hills, you have a beautiful voice, come down and teach me how to sing as beautifully as you."
"If I come down you will eat me," said the rooster.
The fox was clever, he said, "have you not heard the news, all animals have agreed to live in peace and harmony. We can sing love songs together and be friends.
Please come down and teach me how to sing as beautifully as you."
The rooster was not a fool he knew that the fox was more deceitful and cunning than all the other animals the rooster said nothing to the fox but looked down into the distance as if he saw something interesting.
"What are you looking at," asked the fox. "I see a pack of wolves and they are coming this way," said the rooster.
The fox looked alarmed and nervous I really should be going now, rooster.
"Please don't go, we will wait for the wolves to come and then we can tell them about the new peace among animals. we can all learn to sing and love together."
It was too late, the fox had already raced back to his home in the hills.

沒有留言:

張貼留言